Tuesday 23 August 2016

Day Out: Hayburn Wyke

Having only lived in Scarborough for a relatively short space of time, I’m still very much exploring and discovering the area. Right back at the start of Spring I was researching some places that the Mr. and I could visit; places where we could go walking, or for a picnic, when I stumbled upon this walk at a place called Hayburn Wyke. Inviting walkers to discover a hidden beach with its’ own waterfall, well how could I resist.
Hayburn wyke Scarborough

That was months ago, and in the interim we’ve found every excuse from bad weather to pure laziness not to go. Back in July, we finally got into action and got there. It’s not too far from us, just beyond a village called Cloughton, on the way to Whitby. We arrived around lunchtime and parked up at the stunning country pub, aptly named the Hayburn Wyke. It was a pleasant day so we enjoyed a cup of tea in the spacious garden before embarking on our walk.
My trusty Kipling bag has been accompanying me on long walks for years

We set off through fields and off into beautiful canopied woodland. I wasn’t that far in when I started to regret my decision not to wear hiking boots since the ground was uneven and my ankles weren’t getting any support from the canvas pumps I had opted for. Rookie mistake.

Having followed the route downhill, we soon arrived at the rocky pebble beach that is Hayburn Wyke, and enjoyed all of about 5 minutes solitude before a family arrived on the beach too, c’est la vie. The little pool that the waterfall tumbles into looked very inviting, and before long I found myself paddling around in the copper tinged cooling water. Actually, I quite regretted having not brought a swimsuit since this would have been the perfect spot for a little bit of a wild swim (a very small wild swim since the pool itself isn’t huge). If I get back there again on a good day before the end of summer then I will definitely bring the costume.


We admired the wild ocean, but having worn the wrong footwear, we couldn’t really do too much exploring before we set off back up into the woodland.

It was a humid day and the upward climb along the well-trodden Cleveland way route had me sweating and out of puff. That’s more a mark of my own lack of fitness than the difficulty of the route, I would say.


After a total of about 2 hours, including our time on the beach, we found ourselves back at the pub enjoying a well-deserved cooling pint of Black Sheep beer. It was the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon, and now that I know it’s there I will definitely be back again!

4 comments:

  1. What a glorious place to spend some time. I'd have been tempted with a swim in that pool, too - it looks so inviting!!
    You're both looking fab. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and pictures. :) I have been to the pub not never done the walk.. You may of inspired me! :)

    Caroline.x
    www.carolineelgeywhite.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful it looks there! I love places like this, which have an air of secretness to them x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been longing to do my mermaid in a lagoon impression in that beautiful pool, too. What a jaw dropping corner of nature to spend some time.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Your dog is awesomely adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts