Saturday 11 May 2019

A Steam Train Adventure


I’ve wanted to take a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway for a really long time now. I’d always fancied the idea of taking one of the Pullman dining trips, which strikes me as all very Agatha Christie, but at £66 a head for lunch, I’m probably not going to indulge any time soon.


Waiting to depart at Whitby

Anyway, back at Christmas I won tickets to go on the railway in a works raffle. I decided to wait until the weather improved, which it’s finally showing signs of, and went for a trip today. I didn’t want to do the whole Whitby to Pickering because it’s just a little bit long to do with a 1 year old, so I went for Whitby to the village of  Grosmont.





I decided to wear my original 1940s dress, which I thought befitting, with a fabulous 1940s hat and tweed jacket to keep the Yorkshire chill, which is still very present, out. It was really exciting getting the train from Whitby, we had a private compartment just like in the old movies. It was comfortable, leisurely and lovely, so different from my daily commute.


It took half an hour to get to Grosmont which is a small village, dominated by the heritage railway. After enjoying a light lunch in the tea rooms, we had a wander to the engine sheds and up to a beautiful old church, before spending some time relaxing in the pub. It was a really chilled day out. 

The train back to Whitby was a Diesel engine, but the carriage was still terribly comfortable! It was a fabulous day out and now I’ve been on it once I’d quite like to do other parts of the line.

1 comment:

  1. You look absolutely gorgeous, perfect for that wonderful trip. You certainly chose the right day for it! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts