Monday 6 February 2017

Books: The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

I had wanted to read 'The Miniaturist' for some time, certainly since it had been released. When one of my friends offered to lend it to me, it found its way straight on to my 2017 books to read list, and was the first one that I plumped for.

I don't tend to read many novels, preferring biographical or other factual books as a rule, but I often find that once I start with a well written novel, I can't put it down. This book fit that description perfectly and I found myself getting through it very quickly, purely because I could not leave it alone.

Set in 17th century Amsterdam, the tale follows a young woman, Nella, as she embarks on her marriage to a wealthy merchant. All is not as it seems, however, in what should be an idyllic life and behind closed doors the perfect facades of the family that she has married into quickly melt away. Nella has been bought, by her wealthy new husband, a miniature model of their home, and begins to order miniature figures to put into it, but there is a mysterious element with the illusive and mysterious miniaturist. As life in her new home unravels the miniaturist seems to provide some chilling premonitions as to the outcome of events.

This was definitely the right book to start my year out on, and if you like tales of mystery with lots of twists and turns, then this is definitely a book that you don't want to miss.

What novels have you been reading lately?

1 comment:

  1. I've been eyeing up this book for a while! It sounds mysterious - just what I'm after for my next read!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts